From time to time, institutions make major changes in the period between regularly scheduled accreditation visits. ACCPAS accredited institutions are obligated to present such “Substantive Changes” for Commission review and approval. Normally, the procedure involves the institution’s providing written materials and submission of publications appropriate to the nature of the change and consequent Commission action. Under certain conditions, on-site visits may be required by ACCPAS Handbook provisions or at the discretion of the Commission. ACCPAS also offers the opportunity for member institutions to receive an optional consultative review of proposed Substantive Changes by the Commission prior to submission of an official request for Substantive Change. Substantive Changes occurring during accreditation review periods are reported and considered as part of the Self-Study, on-site visit, and Commission review.
“Substantive Change” includes but is not limited to:
- Any fundamental change in the established mission, goals, or objectives of the institution or a major arts unit therein.
- Any change in the legal status or form of control of the institution.
- The addition or amendment of curricular programs that represent a significant departure, in terms of either the content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when ACCPAS most recently evaluated the institution: these programs are normally considered in the Plan Approval process.
- Starting a branch campus or extension program.
- Other major changes that would impact continuing compliance with ACCPAS standards applicable to programs being offered.